Sunday, August 30, 2015

Themes in Life

It seems when I'm consistently in God's Word, I find themes come up in my study time over and over - not only in my personal quiet time, but in podcasts I listen to, teachings in church and Sunday school. . . all over the same theme can come up over and over.

Currently the theme for me is prayer.  I've been convicted of my prayer life not being all that it could be or should be.  During the last few months as we've been trying to think through building or buying a house, I've tried to stay open to God's plan for us.  I've prayed over and over that God would guide our decisions and keep me from being stressed trying to decide for myself what's best.  I know He has a plan for us.  I want whatever happens in our life to ultimately bring glory to God.

One radio broadcast I listened to one day last week, a man was being interviewed about prayer.  He was saying that we should just ask God for what we want.  Sometimes He will say no, but He knows our hearts and what we want anyway, so we should be bold in asking.  So that day, I prayed boldly...I wanted that house for sale that we'd been looking at and had made an offer on.  I didn't want to make a foolish decision, but I wanted this to be the house for us.  The next day (Thursday) we found out that the counter offer came back and we'd decided that we couldn't justify paying anymore than our last offer, so we walked away.  I was disappointed, but I knew that there was a reason.  I figured I may never know the reason, but I want to bring God glory, and I knew that I had to trust.

Thursday night Joel and I discussed all of the different things we could plan and do. . . what builders to talk to, places to possibly build. . . We went to sleep much later than normal and unsure of the future, but knowing Who held it for us.

Friday morning we woke up to find out that our realtor had agreed to reduce her commission and because of that the bank accepted our offer.  I am so humbled that this woman, who prayed with us over the contract, would make this sacrifice for us.

Speaking of prayer, the new Kendrick's brother movie, War Room, is out, and Joel and I are looking forward to seeing it Tuesday night.  It should fit right in with the prayer theme in my life!

Here is a picture of the 3 big kids in the "secret hideout" in our new house.


No comments: