Tuesday, July 8, 2008

no TV update

It's been nearly three weeks without a tv, and I have to say, it's going great! I always thought it would be worse on me than it was on the girls, but it's not been bad at all. Mary Helen has spent a bit more time on the computer, especially at first. She is playing more, and her imagination seems to be soaring. She is following me around the house more, but that's something I've wanted...to talk to the girls a lot. It's not alway convenient for me, but that's my selfishness!

She's started doing chores, and she loves that. I'm sure it will pass.

Anna's begun her terrible twos. She is trying to see who's boss in this house. Parents win. She's spending a lot of time on the bathroom rug. In fact, she fell asleep there last night during a battle. She woke up and went there within minutes, then we did it again after nap time. When we get her ready for bed, and up from bed, we send her with her diaper to throw away. This week she's decided that she doesn't like that job.

Tomorrow night, I get to go out to eat with my very best friend growing up. We were in the crib together at day care (her grandmother was the leader and she saw to it that we were best friends). We took swimming lessons together, we went through puberty together, we went through the drama of boyfriends together, we fought about a boy, we made up, we rebelled together, and after highschool we drifted. We kept in touch sporadically, and last summer she got married. Now, I am not an emotional type. I don't cry at weddings or most funerals. It's life. It's happy, it's sad. But, at her wedding, when her bridesmaids started walking in, I started crying. I didn't know any of them. I should have been right by her side. She should have been at my side when I got married. When we went to her house for the reception and she and her dad danced to "Butterfly Kisses" I totally lost it. The guests at our table thought I was real nice until that moment. Then they (along with Joel) thought I was just plain nuts.

Anyways, we've been through so much together, and I can't wait to catch up with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for no TV. We don't watch any TV either. I do let my daughter watch an educational video every now and then; but nothing on a regular basis!