Thursday, May 7, 2009

Busy Week!

I wrote and scheduled several posts for this week which is good, because I have not been motivated to update! I have had quite a week trying to get all my stuff organized. Since we are going to school year round, and our breaks will be times that we are super busy or out of town, I don't want to take off to regroup. So, we've been doing school, and I've been reorganizing all of my homeschool stuff and life in general. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems when I work on one thing, a thousand others fall apart!
Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband. He took us all out to eat and to Lowes for a few hours last night to get me out of the house and to stop focusing on everything that needs to be done around here. Then when we got home, he did a couple loads of laundry. Bless him!

So, here are some highlights from our week.


I got this critter carnival at the convention last week and we found some roly polies (pill bugs) in our backyard to play in it. While they watched them play, I looked up information on them and read it to the girls. Mary Helen thought it was very interesting that they molt then eat their skin!
She was so taken by the roly polies, we decided to keep them. I read about what they needed and we fixed up a little home for them. It's hard to see, but there is one crawling on that stick.

Since then, she has added several worms and a snail to the collection. I couldn't find the snail to get it's picture, but here's the worm :) The snail is my favorite! I love to watch him come out of his shell and stick his antennas out. We will have to do some reading up on them for sure.

Here's Mary Helen with her first two Bob books. She can read them both! She is very proud of herself, and mommy is rather proud too!

Here is the closet I've been working on. I have all of our activities and books listed on index cards in a recipe box. Now when I plan our week, I pull out the index cards and when I get ready to fill our workboxes, I take my index cards to the closet and pull out what I need. Hopefully this will save me from looking through everything we have everyday.




Here is the closet that needs my attention. I am hoping to get shelves put in it like the other closet soon.


I have another busy weekend, but I hope to get some good stuff set up for our beach theme next week! We are going on two different beach trips in two weeks, so I figure we'll learn something about them before we go!




9 comments:

Elise said...

Okay, Joel rocks!! He is getting the Husband of the Week award!! That is such a cute little critter hotel thingie. I am going to have to see about one of those. And lately my kiddies are asking about bugs, roly polies in particular so you gave me some ideas...
Elise

kw said...

Do you want me to come help you? I love to organize! I can come at night and DH can keep the Snails.

Snails love to eat fruits and veggies. When we had a snail terrarium, whenever I cooked supper, I would also make some snail portions. They really like apples and carrots. They also need calcium in their diet. Go to Ingles and get a cuddlefish bone. It is one of those weird bone things for birds. It will last a year or so for a snail. They also like some "rain" sometimes. Get a squirt bottle and mist their home when the soil is dry. Snails are the best pets ever and can live a looong time! And they are super easy.

Denise said...

Your closet is beautiful! I really need to get working on mine! I think the index card idea will great work for me. I'll try it.

~Maria said...

I would love to see more pictures and details of your recipe box/index card system. I am still trying to get all of our things in one area and organized so it's not so overwhelming when I go to fill workboxes.

franticallysimple said...

I love the critter carnival! What a great way to learn about bugs.

Jenni said...

I think your closet looks great! Very organized for sure. :) I TRY to keep mine organized, but must confess, my closets do NOT look like yours! :)

I hope you have a good Mother's Day! :)

Homeschool Friend said...

Hi there!!! I thought I commented on this one already but I guess not sicne I dont see a comment from me! ;-)

I wanted tot ell you that your workboxes look fabulous! You're so organized! We homeschool year round and LOVE it. We always have. It's so great!

Thanks for sharing! And I hope you found some great beach themed books at the library!

Jaime said...

I am very impressed by the organization there! And...have fun at the beach!!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

What a great husband! yep, you can only do one thing at a time....and getting out of the house helps you put things back into prospective. Make sure you schedule some you time once in while--esp doing school year round!

The closet looks great! Awesome!