Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Art Center

In my continued efforts of organization (HA!), I have created an art center for my girls.

I was blessed with this shelf of bins by a friend whose son had outgrown it!

So, here's what we've got so far (top to bottom, left to right)

~a bucket of magnetic letters (this has sense been moved, and we will fill that box with something else later)

~scissors and glue

~markers

~crayons

~tissue paper

~stickers

~paint (only water colors and dot painters, tempera type paint is still in the closet)

~coloring books, workbooks, and activity sheets

~scrap paper

~things to cut for collage (alphabet letters and things I've printed but not used as well as old magazines)

~blank drawing paper and construction paper

I plan to add a box of misc. art supplies such as toilet paper tubes, pom-poms, craft sticks, etc. I've had this set up for about a week or so, and my oldest daughter especially has enjoyed it. I let them take crayons and markers to the playroom to work on their trays, but glue and paint have to stay at the kitchen table.

Do you have something similar to this in your house?

10 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

We have a similar setup. I use Sterilite plastic drawers that I bought at Target to hold everything but the kids have access to all of the supplies. They create at a two sided art desk/table we bought from Step 2. They make things almost every day. I think it's great and encourages creativity...my husband would like the art supplies to be hidden far far away.

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

I wish! This my dream organizer. Looks good. Congratulations.

Susana said...

You will love this set-up and bin unit!! We use ours for all the "little" toys like Thomas trains, hot wheels cars and so forth.

I wish I could use this for our arts/crafts and such. I store these type of things in canvas bins on higher shelves so my 15 month old can't get into them:-). Love your set-up and I know you will too!!

Anonymous said...

This is really neat - you are lucky to have such a generous friend and a place to put this system in. I have described our current system here: http://teachingyoungchildren.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/an-ode-to-ikea-and-to-my-husband/

nest of posies said...

just had to click onto your blog, just for the namesake alone!!!

found you via favorite thing swap @ kelly's blog. how do you do it all??? diary queen, mom, homeschool teacher, soooo impressed!

love your organizing tip as well.
have a great 4th!
nice to meet you!

nest of posies said...

oops! i meant dairy not diary!

Elise said...

I won't even say if I have something similar cause you KNOW what I have. Hahaha!! Those bins look great for organization!!
Need to get down there soon. I am going to try to call you tonight, assuming I don't forget!!
Elise

Jessica said...

Sort of...my husband is an artist so we have art supplies on every floor of the house! In the basement Benjamin has an art table & he has a few supplies down there--now that we've finished the Schoolroom we have an art shelf that include markers, crayons, scissors, glue sticks & colored pencils. Then, in the corner of the Schoolroom we have a 7-drawer rolling cart filled with play doh, paints, paper & misc. supplies (pom poms, toilet paper rolls, etc.)

We've always been a "a place for everything and everything in its place" sort of household, so Benjamin thrives on order! :)

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Great idea! Those bins are hard to use. Love the picture.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

we use those bins for our weekly "CRAFTivities" each bin contains a different craft or activity.I love them!