Friday, June 19, 2009

Quick Book Reviews

Don't forget to sign up for our Super Summer Swap!

Remember when I was going on vacation and I had all those books that I was planning to read? Well, I still haven't finished them all!

I do want to tell you about the Mangers of Their Homes book and a devotion book that I read, both my Steve and Teri Maxwell of http://www.titus2.com/.

I borrowed Managers of Their Homes (MOTH) from a homeschooling friend, because my post-convention budget had no room for anything else last month! So, I read it pretty quickly so I could get it back to her. I will definitely be purchasing my own copy of this book! It is SUCH an encouragement to me!

The main idea in the book is making a schedule for your family. She recommends 30 minute slots, and schedules her whole day. While it seems radical and rigid, you can see so much good in it once you read everything she has to say. There is scheduled free time, but being a homeschool family, free time is first filled with things that don't get done during the scheduled time (for all those dawdlers!).

She realizes that life happens, and she addresses that beautifully in her book.

Here's a biggie for me - I LOVE the computer! I love blogging - doing mine and reading others (LOTS of others!). I love all the wonderful homeschool ideas on the web. I love email. I love facebook. It just all adds up to A LOT of TIME!! So, I sat down and started writing down all the things that I wanted and needed to accomplish every day and week. I scheduled some time on the computer in the morning, about 15 minutes around lunchtime, but that's it. When I wrote everything down, I had time left over! I had homeschool time, planning time, cleaning time, cooking time, eating time, laundry time. . . lots of chores that "I don't have time for". When I put it all down on paper, I realized how much time I waste each day!

So, as part of my homeschool planning, I will be tweeking what I've already written down as our schedule, and I will beging training my family and myself to have more productive, fun days!

Having a schedule for us is like having workboxes - it makes you realize that you CAN do the fun stuff in life!



The other book I read by them is called Just Around the Corner. It is encouragement for homeschool families. They have a Mom's corner and a Dad's corner. I only read the Mom's Corner. I can't tell you how encouraging and challenging these articles were to me! I think when the Maxwells come to my area this fall, I will be purchasing the second book of devotions!

I won't tell you much about what's in the book, but I will tell you about one day that really spoke to me. It's about revering our husbands. When I began reading, I thought to myself - I don't have a problem with that. I respect my husband! (Can you see me puffing up?!) So, as I continued to read on, she stated that revering our husbands is much deeper than respecting our husbands.

Here are some questions I wrote in my journal to myself.
~Do I nag my husband?
~Do I try to manipulate him to do thing my way?
~When he suggests something, do I often have a "better" way?
~Do I truly trust all of his decisions? (he is responsible to the Lord in his decisions, not to me)
~Will I be more concerned with following the Lord and His Word to me as a wife than I am about having things go my way?

One more thing, I know that my husband loves the Lord, so I can trust what Romans 8:28 says. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love Go, to them that are called according to His purpose." I have to remember that God may be showing him something that He is not showing me. I have to learn to put my trust in the Lord, and thus in my husband.

Whew! How's that for deep thinking on a Friday?! I would really encourage you to check out the Maxwell's ministry at http://www.titus2.com/.

These are my opinions on this material. I was not asked by the Maxwells to review their materials. I recieved no compensation for this review.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have to read those books. Very interesting. I really really need help with scheduling because I too love blogging, love Facebook, and spend too much time reading blogs!

Your button is too cute, by the way!

kw said...

We want to see your schedule! :o)

Umm...I need to stop being a nagger. What great things to think about!

Romans 8:28 has gotten me through A LOT of hard times and has helped me make hard decisions.

The Rosetto's said...

I wanted to tell you I am working on my MOTH schedule right now. (well obviously not right this second but you kwim)

Praying your planning goes well. I would like to have mine finished today. We will see.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reviews. I've been wanting to read her book Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit...I sure need help in that area lol. Btw, love your header!

Susana said...

I love their books too! I have used their Chore Packs system for almost 6 months and it has been a lifesaver!! I posted about it on my family blog if you ever want to check it out, www.myfamilymyforever.blogspot.com--in the labels section of sidebar under Chore Packs!

~Maria said...

Thanks for the reviews. Although I have maxed out our homeschool supply budget for next year already I REALLY want and NEED to read the one about managing our home. I am doing serious work in that area this summer so what great timing!

Jenny said...

I tried doing a schedule once, but it just didn't work for us. Everyday is different.

Now, what about the husbands revering the wives? Why don't they make books about that?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reviews.I need to read those books too. I understand about spending too much time on the computer, I'm with you there. The books are on my wish list, and I'm looking forward to the Maxwells coming to this area in the fall.

Cute header! The shoes made me laugh!

Christine said...

Enjoying your site!

I read their scheduling book last year and made up my schedule before school started. Be sure to schedule some downtime for yourself--longer than 15 minutes, to start. My folly was not doing that and I ended up not following through on my written chores, mostly due to the fact that after a day of schooling (an ADHD child), I was emotionally spent, and doing chores was the last thing I needed/wanted.

I had a baby in Dec. and she was colicky until the end of May--schedule went out the window. I will write another schedule in a few weeks, as her naps regulate more, and this time I will not over-schedule myself.

Perhaps your girls are easy to school and you won't run into the same need for personal time. It felt like I was asking myself to be a robot, and in my humanness, I couldn't do it past 3 p.m.

Another suggestion is to avoid scheduling yourself for a certain thing during naptime. Let that be time you can use however you need to on a given day. If you are an organized person by nature, you probably will take to the schedule better than I did. I am spontaneous by nature.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me that I need to get out my materials again!