Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Will I praise Him in the desert?

Why is it that even when we know how badly we need God's word every day, we let ourselves get out of the habit? This is the place the enemy gets me most often and most easily. I am in enough of a habit of my quiet time that Mary Helen knows that I fix her chocolate milk, fix myself coffee, she watches tv (or otherwise plays in the playroom), and mommy has quiet time with God. Well, Sunday I slept late and had 40 minutes to shower, dress, and get out of the door (thankfully Joel handled the girls). Then, Monday I got up just in time to get everything ready to get to the hospital for Anna's surgery. On Tuesday (this is the lamest of all) my Bible was in the other room still from church, and I went to get it and got distracted and never went back. Thankfully, we serve a forgiving Lord, who I believe is just happy to have me back this morning. How about you? How's your quiet time?

Today, I read again in my Ordinary Mom, Extraordinary God by Mary Demuth (if you haven't gotten this book, I highly reccomend it!). She wrote about being in a desert. I have been raised in a Christian home, and truly surrendered my life to Christ about 5 years ago. I have been through dry spells, but nothing horrible. I sing "Jesus Bring the Rain" with gusto with the radio. Then, I read the what's going on with the lead singer of Selah (who sings Jesus Bring the Rain) at www.audreycaroline.com and it challenges me to think, what would I do if it rained like that in my life? Would I praise His name even when going through a trial such as this? Presently, I feel like I am the most blessed woman alive. . . and it's easy to give glory to God for all I have. Joel and I know we couldn't have the things we do without Him.

He has given us this amazing house (you won't be seeing it in Southern Living, but it's our dream house!), that we believe He allowed us to have it to bring glory to His name. I am learning about hospitality, and just this week alone I get to help a mom to be celebrate new life with a baby shower, and we get to grow our marriage and others as we host a couple's Bible study. I enjoy having drop in company for coffee (if you don't mind a mess ~ I am hospitable, but not June Cleaver!). I enjoy having a few teenage girls every other week for Bible study and game night.

I have two little girls who are healthy and loving. I have a husband who has a heart for the Lord, and who loves us so much I can hardly wrap my mind around it. I have 4 living grandparents who support us and are an amazing encouragement to me. We have a church family who prays for us, who loves on us, and who encourages us.

So, what will I do when God brings me to the desert or brings the rain? I hope I will claim the following verses:

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you."
2 Corinthians 7-12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouraging and thought provoking post. I'm with you on letting ourselves slip out of the habit of being in God's word. Great thoughts though on being grateful for what we have and on being focused during in the desert times.